Zephyr Kernel 1.6.0 Release Notes
We are pleased to announce the release of Zephyr kernel version 1.6.0. This
release introduces a Unified Kernel replacing the separate nano- and
micro-kernels, simplifying the overall Zephyr architecture and programming
In this release we added support for the ARM Cortex-M0/M0+ family and expanded
board support for Cortex-M.
Additionally, this release adds many improvements for documentation, build
infrastructure, and testing.
Major enhancements included with the release:
* Introduced the Unified Kernel; the nano and micro kernel were removed.
* The legacy API is still supported but deprecated. All legacy tests were moved
* Added Unified Kernel documentation.
* Added support for several ARM Cortex-M boards
* Added support for USB mass storage and access to the filesystem.
* Added native Bluetooth Controller support. Currently nRF51 & nRF52 are supported.
A detailed list of changes since v1.5.0 by component follows:
* Introduced Unified kernel.
* Removed deprecated Tasks IRQs.
* Removed deprecated dynamic interrupt API.
* Added DLIST to operate in all elements of a doubly-linked list.
* SLIST: Added sys_slist_get() to fetch and remove the head, also Added
append_list and merge_slist.
* Added nano_work_pending to check if it is pending execution.
* Unified: Added support for k_malloc and k_free.
* Renamed kernel objects event to alert and memory map to memory slab.
* Changed memory pool, memory maps, message queues and event handling APIs.
* ARC: Removed CONFIG_TIMER0_CLOCK_FREQ.
* ARC: Unified linker scripts.
* ARC: Removed dynamic interrupts.
* ARM: Added choice to use floating point ABI.
* ARM: Added NXP Kinetis kconfig options to configure clocks.
* ARM: Removed dynamic interrupts and exceptions.
* ARM: Atmel: Added constants and structures for watchdog registers.
* ARM: Added support for ARM Cortex-M0/M0+.
* x86: Removed dynamic interrupts and exceptions.
* x86: Declared internal API for interrupt controllers.
* x86: Changed IRQ controller to return -1 if cannot determine source vector.
* x86: Grouped Quark SoC's under intel_quark family.
* x86: Optimized and simplified IRQ and exception stubs.
* Renamed board Quark SE devboard to Quark SE C1000 devboard.
* Renamed board Quark SE SSS devboard to Quark SE C1000 SS devboard.
* Quark SE C1000: Disabled IPM and enabled UART0 on the Sensor SubSytem.
* Removed basic_cortex_m3 and basic_minuteia boards.
* Arduino 101: Removed backup/restore scripts. To restore original bootloader
use flashpack utility instead.
* Renamed nRF52 Nitrogen to 96Boards Nitrogen.
* Added ARM LTD Beetle SoC and V2M Beetle board.
* Added Texas Instruments CC3200 LaunchXL support.
* Added support for Nordic Semiconductor nRF51822.
* Added support for NXP Hexiwear board.
Drivers and Sensors
* SPI: Fixed typos in SPI port numbers.
* Pinmux: Removed Quark dev unused file.
* I2C: Added KSDK shim driver.
* Ethernet: Added KSDK shim driver.
* Flash: Added KSDK shim driver
* I2C: Changed config parameters to SoC specific.
* QMSI: Implemented suspend and resume functions QMSI shim drivers
* Added HP206C sensor.
* Changed config_info pointers to const.
* Added support for SoCWatch driver.
* Added FXOS8700 accelerometer / magnetometer sensor driver.
* Minor fixes to uIP networking stack (This will be deprecated in 1.7)
* Added native Bluetooth Controller support. Currently nRF51 & nRF52 are supported.
* New location for Controller & Host implementations: subsys/bluetooth/
* Added raw HCI API to enable physical HCI transport for a Controller-only build.
* Added sample raw HCI apps for USB and UART.
* Added cross-transport pairing support for the Security Manager Protocol.
* Added RFCOMM support (for Bluetooth Classic)
* Added basic persistent storage support (filesystem-backed)
* Renamed bt_driver API to bt_hci_driver, in anticipation of Bluetooth radio drivers.
* Makefile: Changed outdir into board-specific directory to avoid build collisions.
* Makefile: Changed to use HOST_OS environment variable.
* Makefile: Added support for third party build systems.
* printk: Added support for modifiers.
* Sanity: Added support to filter using environment variables.
* Sanity: Added support for multiple toolchains.
* Sanity: Added ISSM and ARM GCC embedded toolchains to the supported toolchains.
* Sanity: Added extra arguments to be passed to the build.
* Sanity: Removed linker VMA/LMA offset check.
* Sysgen: Added --kernel_type argument.
* Modified build infrastructure to support unified kernel.
* SDK: Zephyr: Added check for minimum required version.
* Imported get_maintainer.pl from Linux kernel.
* libc: Added subset of standard types in inttypes.h.
* libc: Added support for 'z' length specifier.
* libc: Removed stddef.h which is provided by the compiler.
* libc: printf: Improved code for printing.
* Added CoAP implementation for Zephyr.
* File system: Added API to grow or shrink a file.
* File system: Added API to get volume statistics.
* File system: Added API to flush cache of an opened file.
* QMSI: Updated to version 1.3.1.
* HAL: Imported CC3200 SDK.
* Imported Nordic MDK nRF51 files.
* Imported Kinetis SDK Ethernet phy driver.
* Imported SDK RNGA driver.
* Drivers: Improved Zephyr Driver model.
* Updated device power management API.
* Unified Kernel primer.
* Moved supported board information to the wiki.zephyrproject.org site.
* Revised documentation for Kernel Event logger and Timing.
Test and Samples
* Fixed incorrect printk usage.
* Removed test for dynamic exceptions.
* Added USB sample.
* Added tests and samples for CoAP client and server.
* Added philosophers unified sample.
* Removed printf/printk wrappers.
* Added Unified kernel API samples.
* Imported tinycrypt test cases for CTR, ECC DSA and ECC DH algorithm.
* Deprecated microkernel and nanokernel APIs.
* Removed dynamic IRQs and exceptions.
* Removed Tasks IRQs.
JIRA Related Items
* [ZEP-308] - Build System cleanup and Kernel / Application build separation
* [ZEP-334] - Unified Kernel
* [ZEP-760] - Clean up samples and sanitise them.
* [ZEP-766] - USB Mass Storage access to internal filesystem
* [ZEP-1090] - CPU x86 save/restore using new QMSI bootloader flow
* [ZEP-48] - define API for interrupt controllers
* [ZEP-233] - Support USB mass storage device class
* [ZEP-237] - Support pre-built host tools
* [ZEP-240] - printk/printf usage in samples
* [ZEP-248] - Add a BOARD/SOC porting guide
* [ZEP-328] - HW Encryption Abstraction
* [ZEP-342] - USB DFU
* [ZEP-451] - Quark SE output by default redirected to IPM
* [ZEP-521] - ARM - add choice to floating point ABI selection
* [ZEP-546] - UART interrupts not triggered on ARC
* [ZEP-584] - warn user if SDK is out of date
* [ZEP-614] - Port tinycrypt 2.0 test cases to Zephyr
* [ZEP-622] - Add FS API to truncate/shrink a file
* [ZEP-627] - Port Trickle support from Contiki into current stack
* [ZEP-635] - Add FS API to grow a file
* [ZEP-636] - Add FS API to get volume total and free space
* [ZEP-640] - Remove dynamic IRQs/exceptions from Zephyr
* [ZEP-653] - QMSI shim driver: Watchdog: Implement suspend and resume callbacks
* [ZEP-654] - QMSI shim driver: I2C: Implement suspend and resume callbacks
* [ZEP-657] - QMSI shim driver: AONPT: Implement suspend and resume callbacks
* [ZEP-661] - QMSI shim driver: SPI: Implement suspend and resume callbacks
* [ZEP-688] - unify duplicated sections of arch linker scripts
* [ZEP-715] - Add K64F clock configurations
* [ZEP-716] - Add Hexiwear board support
* [ZEP-717] - Add ksdk I2C shim driver
* [ZEP-718] - Add ksdk ethernet shim driver
* [ZEP-721] - Add FXOS8700 accelerometer/magnetometer sensor driver
* [ZEP-737] - Update host tools from upstream: fixdep.c
* [ZEP-745] - Revisit design of PWM Driver API
* [ZEP-750] - Arduino 101 board should support one configuration using original bootloader
* [ZEP-758] - Rename Quark SE Devboard to its official name: Quark SE C1000
* [ZEP-767] - Add FS API to flush cache of an open file
* [ZEP-775] - Enable USB CDC by default on Arduino 101 and redirect serial to USB
* [ZEP-783] - ARM Cortex-M0/M0+ support
* [ZEP-784] - Add support for Nordic Semiconductor nRF51822 SoC
* [ZEP-850] - remove obsolete boards basic_minuteia and basic_cortex_m3
* [ZEP-906] - [unified] Add scheduler time slicing support
* [ZEP-907] - Test memory pool support (with mailboxes)
* [ZEP-908] - Add task offload to fiber support
* [ZEP-909] - Adapt tickless idle + power management for ARM
* [ZEP-910] - Adapt tickless idle for x86
* [ZEP-911] - Refine thread priorities & locking
* [ZEP-912] - Finish renaming kernel object types
* [ZEP-916] - Eliminate kernel object API anomalies
* [ZEP-920] - Investigate malloc/free support
* [ZEP-921] - Miscellaneous documentation work
* [ZEP-922] - Revise documentation for Kernel Event Logger
* [ZEP-923] - Revise documentation for Timing
* [ZEP-924] - Revise documentation for Interrupts
* [ZEP-925] - API changes to message queues
* [ZEP-926] - API changes to memory pools
* [ZEP-927] - API changes to memory maps
* [ZEP-928] - API changes to event handling
* [ZEP-930] - Cutover to unified kernel
* [ZEP-933] - Unified kernel ARC port
* [ZEP-934] - NIOS_II port
* [ZEP-935] - Kernel logger support (validation)
* [ZEP-954] - Update device PM API to allow setting additional power states
* [ZEP-957] - Create example sample for new unified kernel API usage
* [ZEP-959] - sync checkpatch.pl with upstream Linux
* [ZEP-981] - Add doxygen documentation to both include/kernel.h and include/legacy.h
* [ZEP-989] - Cache next ready thread instead of finding out the long way
* [ZEP-993] - Quark SE (x86): Refactor save/restore execution context feature
* [ZEP-994] - Quark SE (ARC): Add PMA sample
* [ZEP-996] - Refactor save/restore feature from i2c_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-997] - Refactor save/restore feature from spi_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-998] - Refactor save/restore feature from uart_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-999] - Refactor save/restore feature from gpio_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-1000] - Refactor save/restore feature from rtc_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-1001] - Refactor save/restore feature from wdt_qmsi driver
* [ZEP-1002] - Refactor save/restore feature from counter_qmsi_aonpt driver
* [ZEP-1004] - Extend counter_qmsi_aon driver to support save/restore peripheral context
* [ZEP-1005] - Extend dma_qmsi driver to support save/restore peripheral context
* [ZEP-1006] - Extend soc_flash_qmsi driver to support save/restore peripheral context
* [ZEP-1008] - Extend pwm_qmsi driver to support save/restore peripheral context
* [ZEP-1030] - Enable QMSI shim drivers of SoC peripherals on the sensor subsystem
* [ZEP-1045] - Add/Enhance shim layer to wrap SOC specific PM implementations
* [ZEP-1046] - Implement RAM sharing between bootloader and Zephyr
* [ZEP-1047] - Adapt to new PM related boot flow changes in QMSI boot loader
* [ZEP-1106] - Fix all test failures from TCF
* [ZEP-1107] - Update QMSI to 1.3
* [ZEP-1109] - Texas Instruments CC3200 LaunchXL Support
* [ZEP-1119] - move top level usb/ to sys/usb
* [ZEP-1120] - move top level fs/ to sys/fs
* [ZEP-1121] - Add config support for enabling SoCWatch in Zephyr
* [ZEP-1188] - Add an API to retrieve pending interrupts for wake events
* [ZEP-1191] - Create wiki page for Hexiwear board
* [ZEP-1245] - ARM LTD V2M Beetle Support
* [ZEP-1313] - porting and user guides must include a security section
* [ZEP-592] - Sanitycheck support for multiple toolchains
* [ZEP-740] - PWM API: Check if 'flags' argument is really required
* [ZEP-145] - no 'make flash' for Arduino Due
* [ZEP-199] - Zephyr driver model is undocumented
* [ZEP-471] - Ethernet packet with multicast address is not working
* [ZEP-472] - Ethernet packets are getting missed if sent in quick succession.
* [ZEP-517] - build on windows failed "zephyr/Makefile:869: \*\*\* multiple target patterns"
* [ZEP-528] - ARC has 2 almost identical copies of the linker script
* [ZEP-577] - Sample application source does not compile on Windows
* [ZEP-601] - enable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO
* [ZEP-602] - unhandled CPU exceptions/interrupts report wrong faulting vector if triggered by CPU
* [ZEP-615] - Un-supported flash erase size listed in SPI flash w25qxxdv driver header file
* [ZEP-639] - device_pm_ops structure should be defined as static
* [ZEP-686] - docs: Info in "Application Development Primer" and "Developing an Application and the Build System" is largely duplicated
* [ZEP-698] - samples/task_profiler issues
* [ZEP-707] - mem_safe test stomps on top of .data and bottom of .noinit
* [ZEP-724] - build on windows failed: 'make: execvp: uname: File or path name too long'
* [ZEP-733] - Minimal libc shouldn't be providing stddef.h
* [ZEP-762] - unexpected "abspath" and "notdir" from mingw make system
* [ZEP-777] - samples/driver/i2c_stts751: kconfig build warning from "select DMA_QMSI"
* [ZEP-778] - Samples/drivers/i2c_lsm9ds0: kconfig build warning from "select DMA_QMSI"
* [ZEP-779] - Using current MinGW gcc version 5.3.0 breaks Zephyr build on Windows
* [ZEP-905] - hello_world compilation for arduino_due target fails when using CROSS_COMPILE
* [ZEP-950] - USB: Device is not listed by USB20CV test suite
* [ZEP-961] - samples: other cases cannot execute after run aon_counter case
* [ZEP-1025] - Unified kernel build sometimes breaks on a missing .d dependency file.
* [ZEP-1027] - Doccumentation for GCC ARM is not accurate
* [ZEP-1048] - grove_lcd sample: sample does not work if you disable serial
* [ZEP-1100] - Current master still identifies itself as 1.5.0
* [ZEP-1101] - SYS_KERNEL_VER_PATCHLEVEL() and friends artificially limit version numbers to 4 bits
* [ZEP-1130] - region 'RAM' overflowed occurs while building test_hmac_prng
* [ZEP-1141] - Tinycrypt SHA256 test fails with system crash using unified kernel type
* [ZEP-1144] - Tinycrypt AES128 fixed-key with variable-text test fails using unified kernel type
* [ZEP-1145] - system hang after tinycrypt HMAC test
* [ZEP-1146] - zephyrproject.org home page needs technical scrub for 1.6 release
* [ZEP-1149] - port ztest framework to unified kernel
* [ZEP-1155] - Fix filesystem API namespace
* [ZEP-1163] - LIB_INCLUDE_DIR is clobbered in Makefile second pass
* [ZEP-1164] - ztest skip waiting the test case to finish its execution
* [ZEP-1179] - Build issues when compiling with LLVM from ISSM (icx)
* [ZEP-1226] - cortex M7 port assembler error
* [ZEP-1287] - ARC SPI 1 Port is not working
* [ZEP-1297] - test/legacy/kernel/test_mail: failure on ARC platforms
* [ZEP-1299] - System can't resume completely with DMA suspend and resume operation
* [ZEP-1303] - Configuration talks about >32 thread prios, but the kernel does not support it
* [ZEP-1309] - ARM uses the end of memory for its init stack
* [ZEP-1310] - ARC uses the end of memory for its init stack
* [ZEP-1319] - Zephyr is unable to compile when CONFIG_RUNTIME_NMI is enabled on ARM platforms